We know that many families are feeling the financial impact of Covid-19, so the Message Community Grocery is here to help you shop for less.
Offering a range of food options fresh from local supermarkets, you’ll find a wide range of food for the whole family to choose from at a fraction of the cost, meaning you can save money, help the environment and reduce food waste all in one.
But it’s not just about the food. There’s also find a range of free extra support on offer at the grocery should you ever need it. Support like job clubs, money management support, healthy cooking classes and much more.
How It Started:
Covid-19 has changed all of our lives, but throughout this we’ve wanted to do our bit to help our neighbours.
During the first lockdown we delivered 60,000 meals and food parcels to homes and families across Wythenshawe who would have struggled to put food on the table without a bit of extra help.
During lockdown, we provided:
- 22,000+cooked meals for families
- 41,000+packed lunches for families with children for over 4 months
But as lockdown lifted the need wasn’t going away, in fact it was getting worse and we couldn’t stand by and do nothing. So, the idea of a Community Grocery was born. And here we are with our shelves packed full of the best quality food that’s kindly donated to us by supermarkets, ready to help feed families for less and support them along the way.
How It Works:
- You sign up for a £5 to become an annual member of the Message Community Grocery, giving you access to two weekly shops for £3 each.
- Suppliers provide the Message Community Grocery with redistributed surplus food, including fresh fruit and vegetables, as well as packaged and canned goods.
- Members can come and shop for their whole family at the grocery giving them access to food for less and helping us all reduce food waste.
The Message Community Grocery is located at the Message Enterprise Centre on Harper Road, Sharston, Manchester, M22 4RG